Monday, December 10, 2007

1. I think theme is very important in most stories. I don’t think there always needs to be a theme or an obvious lesson to the story. Sometimes I like reading a piece and then trying to figure out what the author was trying to get at or teach. Sometimes the author has nothing to teach but still makes the story intriguing so we try to stretch our imagination and figure it out. My favorite lesson learned in a story is about how life is short and to never take anyone or anything for granted. I started writing my play and realized I didn’t really have a specific theme to my story. I also realized it wasn’t good enough to not have some sort of set theme to the story. I think figuring out a theme and connecting everything in the story to that theme is a very difficult task.

2. I think the great literary works have lasted this long because they can still relate to people today and also share something about the world at that point in time. I have never personally read any of those works but I can assume that they tell a lot about the time period it was happening in. I could also assume that the issues the people were facing or relationships they had could connect with people today. I think I could do a pretty good job writing about the world today, but I don’t know if it would be good enough for people to get the whole picture of how life was like in my time period. I think I’d do great writing about teenage life but that’s it... I don’t know enough about the lives of adults... and everything is changing so fast it would be hard to capture the whole picture.

3. I want to make an impact on the people I have known in this life, not so much anyone else. I want them to know I was a happy person and laughing is my favorite thing in the world. I would want people to think I truly cared about them and loved listening to what they were thinking and how they were feeling. I want people to be proud to know me and be proud to have had a relationship with me. I hope the people that I am close with or the people who I just have one conversation with can get the sense of who I truly am. I think being “you” is the most important thing. If someone wants you to change a part of who you are, then that person is not worth having a relationship with. As a writer, I just think that each piece should have a part of “you” in it so that people can tell it’s yours and it fits what your personality is and how you look at life.

No comments: